Re: Cascaded Column Drop - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cascaded Column Drop
Date
List pgsql-patches
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> When a cascaded column drop is removing the last column, drop the table
> instead.  Regression tests via domains.

Is that a good idea, or should we refuse the drop entirely?  A table
drop zaps a lot more stuff than a column drop.

What I was actually wondering about after reading Tim's report was
whether we could support zero-column tables, which would eliminate the
need for the special case altogether.  I have not looked to see how
extensive are the places that assume tuples have > 0 columns ...

            regards, tom lane