Re: autoconf version for back branches? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autoconf version for back branches?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I see that older back branches are still using version 2.53 of autoconf,
> rather than the 2.59 branch we have updated to for 8.1 and beyond. Does
> that mean I need to install version 2.53 if I want to update the config
> on those branches?

Yup.  We aren't changing back autoconf versions if we can help it ---
too much risk of breakage.

> If so, fixing the plpython problem I reported
> recently seems like too much work.

It's not a big problem if you install 'em into private subdirectories,
eg I have autoconf-2.53 installed with --prefix = /usr/local/autoconf-2.53
and doPATH=/usr/local/autoconf-2.53/bin:$PATH autoconf
when I need to update back-branch configure scripts.