Re: Help with: my bits moved right off the end of the world! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Help with: my bits moved right off the end of the world!
Date
List pgsql-general
Martin Weinberg <weinberg@osprey.astro.umass.edu> writes:
> Folks, we have been getting:
> FATAL 1: my bits moved right off the end of the world!
>        Recreate index pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index.

Oh, that old thing :-(.  If you have a way to reproduce this from a
standing start (virgin database) I'd be very interested to see it.
We've seen sporadic reports of this problem for a long time but no
useful debugging information.  I think that the problem might be fixed
in 7.1, but I can't be sure when I've never had any field failure under
the microscope.

> I understand that this is a b-tree index problem but how does
> one recreate pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index?

See REINDEX.  Also consider updating.

            regards, tom lane