Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> As Craig intimated, the minimal grammar impact would be simply

> BEGIN;
> set persistent maintenance_work_mem='2GB';
> set persistent work_mem='2GB';
> COMMIT;

> Sending the sighup at transaction end seems like a fairly safe thing
> to do too. It's hard to imagine it failing and if it did the worst
> case would be that other backends would still have the old values too.

This would only be sane if we also postponed writing the file until
commit.  I don't know what is in the patch at the moment, but I remember
that we had talked of executing the file write immediately when SET
PERSISTENT is issued.

Maybe it's worth going in that direction just to cover the
multiple-updates case more conveniently.