Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> It also seems that, once you get it up and running, any worthwhile dev
>> management system is going to actually take less time / effort to
>> maintain than, say, maintaining manually concocted todo lists and
>> coordinating development via a mailing list.

> This is true or at least, this is my experience but you are not going to
> convince many people of that.

The Postgres project has been exceedingly successful while using email
lists as the primary means of communication/organization.  I for one
am disinclined to tinker with such a fundamental aspect of the way that
the community operates.  If we try to substitute a bug tracker for the
mailing lists, I think we'll be making a very basic change in the
community's communication structure, and not one for the better.

>> Call me a normaliser, but even if the maintenance cost is higher, I
>> think it's worth it to have a centralised, authoratitive, organised
>> repository for dev task data.

> I agree.

Since the development community is neither centralised nor organized,
why would you expect such a repository to have anything to do with
what actually happens?