Re: pg_dump's restore gives "operator does not exist: public.iprange = public.iprange" but copy paste works - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump's restore gives "operator does not exist: public.iprange = public.iprange" but copy paste works
Date
In response to Re: pg_dump's restore gives "operator does not exist: public.iprange = public.iprange" but copy paste works  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> I'll admit these have been infrequent since resolving CVE 2018-1058, but I
> still disagree with the decision to not give the DBA an option on whether
> to leave public in their search_path during a pg_dump and pg_restore.

Yeah, I was never for that decision either.  Anybody who's sufficiently
hot about it could try submitting a patch and see what happens.

I'm not quite sure how the option should work, but maybe call it
--use-unsafe-path and define it as adopting the same search_path
setting seen at dump time?  Or maybe better to provide a restore-time
option saying "use this search_path"?  It needs some thought, not
just quick-n-dirty code.

            regards, tom lane