Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
> I'm with Peter on this one. I'd like to *not* clutter up the code and
> error reporting with hints and suggestions which may or may not be to
> the point.
> We *should* have docs which list error messages and possible solutions,
> and throwing that info into code is a poor second choice imho.

While you have a point in the abstract, a big difficulty is that the
docs never track the code with any accuracy.  Look at the "Outputs"
portions of our existing reference pages.  To the extent that they
describe possible errors at all, the information is a sad joke: out of
date in most cases, certainly incomplete in every case.  Just last week
I was thinking that we should rip all that stuff out, rather than
pretend it is or ever will be accurate.