Re: pretty print viewdefs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pretty print viewdefs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> I agree with Tom's concerns -- think of that guy who was bumping up
> against the 1600 column limit. At least if they're on one line you can
> still see the structure of the query albeit with a very very wide
> scrollbar...

> But for typical queries I do agree one per line is better. That is
> actually how I format my queries when they have complex expressions in
> the target list. Perhaps formatting one per line whenever there's an
> alias or the value is a complex expression but putting any unaliased
> columns (such as produced by select *) in a single line would be a
> good compromise?

Yeah, I was wondering about adopting some rule like that too.

It would be pretty easy to adjust that loop so that columns that aren't
simple Vars are put on their own line, while Vars are allowed to share
a line.  I dunno whether users would see that as inconsistent, though.