Re: [HACKERS] building libpq.a static library - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] building libpq.a static library
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 7/12/17 11:11, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, we used to have support for building static libpq, but
>> we got rid of it a long time ago.  I couldn't find the exact
>> spot in some desultory trawling of the commit history.

> We still build and install static libraries.

Hm, I'd taken Jeroen's complaint at face value, but that sure
explains why I couldn't find where it'd been removed ;-)

The answer may then be that he's working with a vendor-packaged version
and the vendor chose to enforce their distro policy about not shipping
static libraries by patching that build step out of libpq's Makefile.