Re: explosive WAL growth - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: explosive WAL growth
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 2024-Feb-27, Scott Ribe wrote:

> Something is causing our WAL to grow 160GB/hour *faster* than archiving. (Archiving appears to be working normally.)
Thisstarted in the past couple of days.

> I am having some trouble finding the cause of this. I am looking at pg_stat_statements, # calls, time, shared blocks
written.I am also looking at recent client app deployments.

It could be autovacuum processing large tables that haven't been
processed in a long time, in emergency mode.  This happens if you turn
it off and do nothing to substitute it.

Some backup tools implement parallel archiving of WAL files, which helps
you deal with massive accumulation of them.