Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Date
Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Mar-09, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 09:34:10AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:

> > > +        Reports whether huge pages are in use by the current instance.
> > > +        See <xref linkend="guc-huge-pages"/> for more information.
> > >
> > > I still think we should say "server" in place of "current instance" here.
> >
> > We certainly use 'server' a lot more in config.sgml than we do
> > 'instance'.  "currently running server" might be closer to how we
> > describe a running PG system in other parts (we talk about "currently
> > running server processes", "while the server is running", "When running
> > a standby server", "when the server is running"; "instance" is used much
> > less and seems to more typically refer to 'state of files on disk' in my
> > reading vs. 'actively running process' though there's some of each).
>
> I called it "instance" since the GUC has no meaning when it's not
> running.  I'm fine to rename it to "running server".

I'd rather make all these other places use "instance" instead.  We used
to consider these terms interchangeable, but since we introduced the
glossary to unify the terminology, they are no longer supposed to be.
A server (== a machine) can contain many instances, and each individual
instance in the server could be using huge pages or not.

"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;
It rarely breaks and when it does I fix the code myself.
It's stable, clean and elegant, and lightning fast as well,
And it doesn't cost a nickel, so Bill Gates can go to hell."