Re: Operation log for major operations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Operation log for major operations
Date
Re: Operation log for major operations  (Dmitry Koval <d.koval@postgrespro.ru>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 02, 2023 at 08:57:43PM +0300, Dmitry Koval wrote:
> These changes did not interest the community. It was expected (topic is very
> specifiс: vendor's technical support). So no sense to distract developers

Actually, I think there is interest, but it has to be phrased in a
limited sense to go into the control file.

In November, I referenced 2 threads, but I think you misunderstood one
of them.  If you skim the first couple mails, you'll find a discussion
about recording crash information in the control file.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/666c2599a07addea00ae2d0af96192def8441974.camel%40j-davis.com

It's come up several times now, and there seems to be ample support for
adding some limited information.

But a "log" which might exceed a few dozen bytes (now or later), that's
inconsistent with the pre-existing purpose served by pg_control.

--
Justin