Re: wake up logical workers after ALTER SUBSCRIPTION - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: wake up logical workers after ALTER SUBSCRIPTION
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 01:23:18PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm reasonably certain the launcher is already signaled like you describe.
>> It'll just wait to start new workers if it's been less than
>> wal_retrieve_retry_interval milliseconds since the last time it started
>> workers.
>
> Oh.  What in the world is the rationale for that?

My assumption is that this is meant to avoid starting workers as fast as
possible if they repeatedly crash.  I didn't see much discussion in the
original logical replication thread [0], but I do see follow-up discussion
about creating a separate GUC for this [1] [2].

[0] https://postgr.es/m/b8132323-b577-428c-b2aa-bf41a66b18e7%402ndquadrant.com
[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoAjTTGm%2BOx70b2OGWvb77vPcRdYeRv3gkAWx76nXDo%2BEA%40mail.gmail.com
[2] https://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoDCnyRJDUY%3DESVVe68AukvOP2dFomTeBFpAd1TiFbjsGg%40mail.gmail.com

--