Re: PGDOCS - Logical replication GUCs - added some xrefs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PGDOCS - Logical replication GUCs - added some xrefs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Dec-07, samay sharma wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 11:12 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> > OK. I copied the tablesync note back to config.sgml definition of
> > 'max_replication_slots' and removed the link as suggested. Frankly, I
> > also thought it is a bit strange that the max_replication_slots in the
> > “Sending Servers” section was describing this parameter for
> > “Subscribers”. OTOH, I did not want to split the definition in half so
> > instead, I’ve added another Subscriber <varlistentry> that just refers
> > back to this place. It looks like an improvement to me.
>
> Hmm, I agree this is a tricky scenario. However, to me, it seems odd to
> mention the parameter twice as this chapter of the docs just lists each
> parameter and describes them. So, I'd probably remove the reference to it
> in the subscriber section. We should describe it's usage in different
> places in the logical replication part of the docs (as we do).

I agree this is tricky.  However, because they essentially have
completely different behaviors on each side, and because we're
documenting each side separately, to me it makes more sense to document
each behavior separately, so I've split it.  I also added mention at
each side that the other one exists.  My rationale is that a user is
likely going to search for stuff to set on one side first, then for
stuff to set on the other side.  So doing it this way maximizes
helpfulness (or so I hope anyway).  I also added a separate index entry.

"I love the Postgres community. It's all about doing things _properly_. :-)"
(David Garamond)