Re: Usability ideas: text width and headers that are links - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Usability ideas: text width and headers that are links
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 2022-Oct-21, Niels Bom wrote:

> Setting a max-width on regular textual content is good for
> readability, which in turn increases accessibility. See this W3C a11y
> documentation (1) and an a11y page by the US government (2) for more
> detailed info.
>
> Using the CSS max-width property makes narrower sizes possible (for
> smaller screens) but sets an upper limit. The newer `ch` unit in CSS
> is a good-enough approximation of the average width of a character.
> I've seen 66ch as the "ideal" width for regular text. For the docs
> code examples need to have enough width too of course. But we can have
> those be wider than their containing element if need be.

+1 for this idea.  (I often open multiple windows just so that I end up
with the right width in the one containing text to read, as a substitute
for this.)

This should definitely only apply to running text, not code examples,
synopses, tables, etc; otherwise it's going to be *very* bothersome.

#error "Operator lives in the wrong universe"
  ("Use of cookies in real-time system development", M. Gleixner, M. Mc Guire)