Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 07:31:35PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:

> Ultimately we do our users the best service if when they operate an
> installation using defaults that they have documentation showing how to
> perform something like an upgrade that works with those defaults.

I don't really agree that it's best service to let users assume that they can
blindly copy/paste some commands without trying to understand them, or how to
adapt them to their specificities.  That's in my opinion particularly true on
windows, since to my knowledge most companies will have the binaries installed
in one place (C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL might be frequent), and have the data
stored in another place (D: or other).  So I don't think the default command
will actually work for any non toy installation.

> So why not assume the user is whatever the EDB installer uses
> and make that the example?

Well, IIUC that used to be the case until EDB changed its installer.  Maybe the
odds for an impacting change to happen again are low, but it's certainly not a
great idea to assume that the community will regularly check their installer
and update the doc to match what they're doing.  So yeah it may be better for
them to provide a documentation adapted to their usage.