Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 02:08:09PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 11:11:46AM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> > As an example, here's a POC for a new shmem_request_hook hook after _PG_init().
> > With it I could easily fix pg_wait_sampling shmem allocation (and checked that
> > it's indeed requesting the correct size).
>
> Are you sure that the end of a release cycle is the good moment to
> begin designing new hooks?  Anything added is something we are going
> to need supporting moving forward.  My brain is telling me that we
> ought to revisit the business with GetMaxBackends() properly instead,
> and perhaps revert that.

I agree, and as I mentioned in my original email I don't think that the
committed patch is actually adding something on which we can really build on.
So I'm also in favor of reverting, as it seems like be a better option in the
long run to have a clean and broader solution.