Re: storing an explicit nonce - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: storing an explicit nonce
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 12:26 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > We rely on it today, e.g. for the control file.
>
> I think that's the only place, though. We can't rely on it for data
> files because base backups don't go through shared buffers, so reads
> and writes can get torn in memory and not just on sector boundaries.

There was a recent discussion with Munro, as I recall, that actually
points out how we probably shouldn't be relying on that even for the
control file and proposed having multiple control files (something which
I generally agree with as a good idea), particularly due to SSD
technology, as I recall.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment