Re: Allow escape in application_name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Allow escape in application_name
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Fri, 01 Oct 2021 11:23:33 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> function but that is apparently too-much complex.  (It would be worth
> doing if we share the same backbone processing with archive_command,
> restore_command, recover_end_command and so on, but that is
> necessarily accompanied by the need to change the behavior either
> log_line_prefix or others.)

So I was daydreaming over the idea and concluded as it is no-go.

I said that the fdw-application name is close to archive_command
rather than log_line_prefix, but that is totally missing the point.
log_line_prefix and the fdw-application name share the concept of
formatting, which is not a part of archive_command and friends.

The latter is made very light weight and simple due to not only the
formatless-ness but also the narrow choices of escape characters. Also
they work on fixed-length buffer instead of StringInfo.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center