Re: Commit emails to -committers - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Commit emails to -committers
Date
List pgsql-www
Greetings,

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org) wrote:
> On 2021-Aug-19, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Having had reasonable success with using Reply-To on the -docs and -bugs
> > mailing lists to have replies go to the correct place while emails come
> > from the noreply@postgresql.org address, we (pginfra) are thinking of
> > starting to do the same for the automated emails to the -committers
> > list.
> >
> > Specifically, we're contemplating something like:
> >
> >   From: Stephen Frost <noreply@postgresql.org>
> >   To: pgsql-committers@lists.postgresql.org
> >
> > being the structure of emails from the commit script.
>
> Overall this looks good to me.  I especially like having the

Cool.

> One thing I don't like is the proposed From:.  Setting things that way
> sometimes causes people's MUAs to record the given address to the
> person's name -- and I'm sure both parties would be upset if they sent
> email to Stephen Frost and it ended up delivered to
> noreply@postgresql.org.
>
> The pgsql-bugs and pgsql-docs forms both use some placeholder text:
>  From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
>  From: PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
>
> So I suggest that the From should have some other text, not the
> unadorned person's name.  It doesn't have to be something as impersonal
> as what we use for the forms; maybe we can just prefix it:
>
>  From: Committer Stephen Frost <noreply@postgresql.org>
> or
>  From: Committer Bot - on behalf of Stephen Frost <noreply@postgresql.org>

Hm, sure, either of those sounds good to me.  I'd be inclined a bit more
towards the former so that it doesn't take up as much room.

Hadn't thought about that as I don't let random emails modify my
.mutt.aliases file. ;)

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment