Re: Retry in pgbench - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Subject Re: Retry in pgbench
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:28:48 +0900 (JST)
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> > By the way, I've been playing with the idea of failing gracefully and retry
> > indefinitely (or until given -T) on SQL error AND connection issue.
> >
> > It would be useful to test replicating clusters with a (switch|fail)over
> > procedure.
>
> Interesting idea but in general a failover takes sometime (like a few
> minutes), and it will strongly affect TPS. I think in the end it just
> compares the failover time.

This usecase is not about benchmarking. It's about generating constant trafic
to be able to practice/train some [auto]switchover procedures while being close
to production activity.

In this contexte, a max-saturated TPS of one node is not relevant. But being
able to add some stats about downtime might be a good addition.

Regards,