Re: configure and DocBook XML - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: configure and DocBook XML
Date
Re: configure and DocBook XML  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Nov-26, Paul Förster wrote:

> Hi Alvaro,
>
> > On 26. Nov, 2020, at 14:47, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> >
> > My guess is that it's related to trying to obtain stylesheets from
> > remote Internet locations that are missing locally.
>
> I don't know DocBook at all, so I can't say. But it takes about the
> same time, whether I run configure on a machine that is connected to
> the internet or one that isn't.

It might be timing out, then.  (The docbook test takes well under a
second for me, but that's probably because I have all stylesheets
locally).

One way to know for sure would be to run it under strace, and see where
it takes a large number of seconds.  Maybe something like
 strace -f -etrace=%network -T -tt -o/tmp/configure.trace ./configure <opts>

> Whatever it does, it's more out of curiosity. PostgreSQL compiles fine
> and this is what counts. :-)

Well, it is what it is partly because people have struggled to polish
these little annoyances :-)