Re: Hot backup in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: Hot backup in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 08:42:08AM +0200, W.P. wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> how to do "hot backup" (copying files) while database running?
>
> Not using pg_dump.
>
> Is there some equivalent of Oracle (I knew v8) "ALTER DATABASE BEGIN
> BACKUP", which froze writes to database files, pushing everything to redo
> files?

There are many ways to do it. To be able to suggest proper solution we'd
need to know:
1. what is the problem with pg_dump?
2. what is the exact problem you're solving (clearly it's not only
   "having backup", as this is done using pg_dump without any problem).

depesz