Re: What's your experience with using Postgres in IoT-contexts? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: What's your experience with using Postgres in IoT-contexts?
Date
Re: What's your experience with using Postgres in IoT-contexts?  (Jonathan Strong <jonathanrstrong@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 2020-10-13 06:55:52 +0200, chlor wrote:
> > I want to have long term storage and access to individual telegrams
>
> An IOT is not designed for that. It is used for control or delivery of
> data to a server.

That's a rather dogmatic and narrow-minded point of view. "IOT" means
"Internet of things". There are many things which which could benefit
from network connectivity and don't necessarily need a central server or
may even act as servers for other "things".

It all depends on the application and the "thing".

> Long term storage also means backup and recovery and I don't think you
> have that planned for your IOT.

That depends on how valuable those data are.

        hp

Attachment