Re: Possible mistake in backup documentation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Possible mistake in backup documentation
Date
List pgsql-docs
Greetings,

* Laurenz Albe (laurenz.albe@cybertec.at) wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 14:50 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, that's true.
> >
> > Well, technically it is *correct*. It's just rather silly that we are using the deprecated API in the example.
> >
> > > How about the attached patch?
> > > Perhaps that is too complicated, but I have no idea how to make it simpler.
> >
> > For this example, can't we just show two sessions. That is, "in a psql, run pg_start_backup().
> >  Then in a different session, copy all the files, and then back in psql run pg_stop_backup()" or such?
> >
> > This is still just an example of a low level operation, where the recommendation is (and is there iirc)
> >  to use a different tool for it already.
>
> I thought the point of the example is to show a workable script that could
> perform a backup and could be used as a starting point to develop your own
> backup solution.  (I know that there are people who think writing your own
> backup solution is evil, but I am not one of them.)

That's certainly not actually the case.  We don't currently have
anywhere close to sufficient documention (unless you are reading the
code and understand how PG works) for someone to develop their own
backup solution using the low-level API.  There's been attempts to fix
that, and I suspect there'll be another attempt to improve the situation
for v14, but not sure if that'll be successful.

> If we replace that with a verbal description of how to do it, the example just
> duplicates what is already documented.
>
> In that case I would opt for simply removing the example.

Removing the example, as it really doesn't do what it implies, is
probably the best way to address this.  I'm not convinced that we could
come up with a sufficient verbal description, but I'm happy to take a
look and provide feedback if someone wants to try.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment