Re: pg_upgrade Python version issue on openSUSE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: pg_upgrade Python version issue on openSUSE
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2020-09-26 17:54:31 +0200, Paul Förster wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
> > On 26. Sep, 2020, at 17:43, Adrian Klaver
> > <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> >
> > I suppose getting them to install Python 2 is out of the question?
> > It is an official package.
>
> I can try, but chances are at 99% that they refuse.
>
> > Well there is always going to be versioning. If you mean the
> > incompatibility split, then for 2/3 that is not going away. There
> > will be a Python 4, but the core developers have said they learned
> > their lesson and it will just be an incremental upgrade.
>
> so you're saying there will always be two Pythons? One Python 2 and
> one Python x (with x>=3)? Oh my god... Why don't they just make Python
> 3 backward compatible?

Python 2 is officially unsupported by the Python team since January 1st
2020. There has been one final release after that, but that contained
only bug fixes which were already pending before that date.

So as far as the Python team is concerned, there is only one Python and
that is Python 3.

But there is still a lot of legacy software out there and there are OSs
with very long (like 10 years) maintenance periods. So in practical
terms, Python 2 isn't dead, it just smells funny.

        hp

Attachment