ALTER SYSTEM between upgrades - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject ALTER SYSTEM between upgrades
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Tue, Jul  7, 2020 at 04:18:21PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2020-Jul-07, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> > I don't think this is true.  We seem to have introduced three new guc
> > variables in a 9.3.3 minor release.
>
> Yeah, backporting GUCs is not a big deal.  Sure, the GUC won't appear in
> postgresql.conf files generated by initdb prior to the release that
> introduces it.  But users that need it can just edit their .confs and
> add the appropriate line, or just do ALTER SYSTEM after the minor
> upgrade.  For people that don't need it, it would have a reasonable
> default (probably work_mem, so that behavior doesn't change on the minor
> upgrade).

I am creating a new thread to discuss the question raised by Alvaro of
how many ALTER SYSTEM settings are lost during major upgrades.  Do we
properly document that users should migrate their postgresql.conf _and_
postgresql.auto.conf files during major upgrades?  I personally never
thought of this until now.