Re: Something else about Redo Logs disappearing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Something else about Redo Logs disappearing
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Peter (pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 08:32:22AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> ! > What repo?? I seem to have missed that at first glance.
> !
> ! Yes, pgbackrest has a repo, like most other tools (though they call them
> ! different things... pg_basebackup has one though it's not really
> ! formal).
> !
> ! > Are You indeed suggesting that one should have their data within
> ! > the database, where it is worked with, and then use Your tool
> ! > to copy it to some "repo" disk playground whatever area, and then
> ! > use their regular backup system to COPY IT AGAIN into their
> ! > backup/archiving system? Are You kiddin'?
> !
> ! No, I'm not kidding and yes, that's what I'm suggesting.
>
> Well, do You think I could seriously sell that to anybody?

That hardly seems to have much relevance.  I do know that there are lots
of deployments which have exactly that setup though.

> ! You need a
> ! consistent backup of your database that includes all the needed WAL to
> ! perform a restore.
>
> Okay. So lets behave like professional people and figure how that
> can be achieved:

No, thanks, but I'm done.  I will not continue to engage with someone
who insists on belittling everyone they engage with.  That's not
appropriate for any professional environment, including these lists.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment