Re: When to use PARTITION BY HASH? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: When to use PARTITION BY HASH?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 09:45:48AM +0200, Oleksandr Shulgin wrote:
> I see.  So it works with low cardinality in the partitioned column.  With
> high cardinality an index scan on an unpartitioned table would be
> preferable I guess.
>
> The documentation page I've linked only contains examples around
> partitioning BY RANGE.  I believe it'd be helpful to extend it with some
> meaningful examples for LIST and HASH partitioning.

I agree.  I think it would also be useful to mention the "benefits" which
aren't likely to apply to hash partitioning.

Would you want to propose an example to include ?
Eventually it needs to be submitted as a patch to -hackers.

--
Justin