Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'md5'? - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'md5'?
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Re: Stephen Frost
> > Why do I have to decide *in pg_hba.conf* which hash algorithm is used?
>
> Where else would you decide..?

Connections could just use whatever hash is used for the username in
pg_authid. There's no reason to expose that detail in pg_hba.conf.

> > Why can't that just be "password"?
>
> What would that mean?

The above.

> > Getting this mess fixed would be good for security because then people
> > will likely start using scram.
>
> That's certainly true, though I hope we can convince people to use SCRAM
> even given the modest effort required.

It's not modest. Or else this thread wouldn't have 20 mails.

> The point here though, really, is that *new* installations of PG have
> very little reason to not use SCRAM.  The question on upgrades is
> different, but that can be addressed with pg_upgradecluster, I would
> think, without much trouble.

In pg_createcluster, if I move pg_hba.conf and password_encryption to
scram, and I restore a dump from an older PG major, can people
continue to connect using their passwords? From what I got above, the
answer is "no".

Should I only set password_encryption to scram and keep advertising
md5 as the sane default for pg_hba.conf?

Christoph