Re: Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Greetings,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2020-05-20 18:16, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> >Given that we started breaking things, what about removing PL/Python2
> >support from the RPMs?
> >
> >All major distros (including RHEL 7 have PY3 support, and I think it is
> >a good idea to stop support from packaging side as well. People who
> >want to upgrade will also need to finish porting to PY3.

I tend to agree with dropping python2- it's EOL and it doesn't make
sense for us to continue to depend on something that's no longer being
maintained.

> ISTM that as long as distros ship Python 2, PostgreSQL can support it. We
> don't necessarily want to give people more reasons to hesitate to upgrade to
> PostgreSQL 13.

I disagree with this- there's always reasons people will have to not
upgrade to the new major version, this isn't any different from other
reasons.

> It might make sense to get rid of Python 2 in general, but it should be
> independent of PostgreSQL 13.

This doesn't make any sense at all- how would getting rid of it be done
independently of the release?  I certainly don't think we could drop
support as of version 13.3 or some such, and considering python2 is
officially EOL and dead, we would be effectively shipping support for
something that isn't supported, and hadn't been for nearly a year prior.

+1 to dropping support for python2.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment