Re: surprisingly slow creation of gist index used in excludeconstraint - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Marshall
Subject Re: surprisingly slow creation of gist index used in excludeconstraint
Date
List pgsql-general

> >Hi Chris,
> >
> >This sounds like a candidate for pg_logical replicating from the
> >old to new system.
>
> Can you point me to a good guide as to how to easily set this up for
> one database and would work between pg 9.4 and pg 11.5?
>
> cheers,
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

Here is on for 9.4 to 10.3:

https://hunleyd.github.io/posts/Upgrading-PostgreSQL-from-9.4-to-10.3-with-pglogical/

and another article:

https://www.depesz.com/2016/11/08/major-version-upgrading-with-minimal-downtime/

It is a pretty straightforward procedure and really cuts the time needed
for an upgrade. Although, as Tom mentioned maybe just bumping your
maintenance_work_mem up to 1g or so may make the index create time
reasonable.

Regards,
Ken