How to move a 11.4 cluster to another Linux host, but empty? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthias Apitz
Subject How to move a 11.4 cluster to another Linux host, but empty?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I've a 11.4 cluster on a Linux host with 3 production database, all
below /data/postgresql11.4/ (i.e. the cluster itself is
/data/postgresql11.4/data) fully configured an running fine. I want to
move it "cold" (i.e. when it is shutdown) by tar to another host, BUT
without the database (due to PII and GDPR relevant data). Between the
source and target host there is no network.

Of course I could, after moving all the PostgreSQL software (all is below a top
level directory /usr/local/sisis-pap/pgsql, compiled by me) and setup the
cluster from scratch on the other host, but I wanted to have it all in one shoot by tar.

Is there a way to exclude the databases from the move by tar, or by some
sophisticated pg_* command?

Thanks

    matthias
--