Re: pg_restore: could not close data file: Success - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: pg_restore: could not close data file: Success
Date
Re: pg_restore: could not close data file: Success
List pgsql-general
On 2020-04-15 12:01:46 +0200, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> I'm trying to restore a backup on a different machine and it terminates
> with the not really helpful messages:
>
> pg_restore: [directory archiver] could not close data file: Success
> pg_restore: [parallel archiver] a worker process died unexpectedly
[...]
> My guess is that maybe one of the data files is damaged

As is often the case the matter became obvious a few minutes after
writing the mail.

There were indeed two file with length 0 in the dump. That happened
because the backup failed because it couldn't obtain a lock on a table.

I nicer error message (something like "cannot decompress '13503.dat.gz':
Empty file") would have helped.

        hp

Attachment