Re: pgsql: Include information on buffer usage during planningphase, in EX - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: pgsql: Include information on buffer usage during planningphase, in EX
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 03:24:41PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> On 2020/04/03 12:30, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
> >
> > dory failed as well.  The problem is that in text mode, a Buffers line
> > won't appear at all if there were zero buffer accesses.  I don't think
> > we really want to change that,
>
> Yes.
>
> > so probably the thing to do is adapt
> > the filter functions in explain.sql so that they suppress Buffers lines
> > altogether in text output.  Kind of annoying, but ...
>
> I'm thinking to suppress only Buffers line just after Planning Time line,
> by applying something like the following changes to explain_filter().
> Thought?

+1, that's a better workaround.

>  declare
>      ln text;
> +    ignore_output boolean;
>  begin
>      for ln in execute $1
>      loop
> +        IF ignore_output THEN
> +            ignore_output := false;
> +            CONTINUE WHEN (ln ~~ '  Buffers: %');
> +        END IF;
> +        ignore_output := ln ~~ 'Planning Time: %';
>          -- Replace any numeric word with just 'N'
>          ln := regexp_replace(ln, '\m\d+\M', 'N', 'g');
>          -- In sort output, the above won't match units-suffixed numbers

I'm not sure of what's plpgsql behavior here, but it's probably better to
initialize ignore_output to false.  Nitpicking, but I think that
planning_time_found, or something similar, would be better here.