Announcing apt-archive.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-announce

From Christoph Berg
Subject Announcing apt-archive.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-announce
Users had often asked where they could find older versions of packages
from apt.postgresql.org. I had been collecting these since about April
2013, and in July 2016, I made the packages available via an ad-hoc
URL on the repository master host, called "the morgue". There was
little repository structure, all files belonging to a source package
were stuffed into a single directory, no matter what distribution they
belonged to. Besides this not being particularly accessible for users,
the main problem was the ever-increasing need for more disk space on
the repository host. We are now at 175 GB for the archive, of which
152 GB is for the morgue.

Our friends from yum.postgresql.org have had a proper archive host
(yum-archive.postgresql.org) for some time already, so it was about
time to follow suit and implement a proper archive for
apt.postgresql.org as well, usable from apt.

So here it is: https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/

The archive covers all past and current Debian and Ubuntu
distributions. The apt sources.lists entries are similar to the main
repository, just with "-archive" appended to the host name and the
distribution:

  deb https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt DIST-pgdg-archive main
  deb-src https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt DIST-pgdg-archive main

The oldest PostgreSQL server versions covered there are 8.2.23,
8.3.23, 8.4.17, 9.0.13, 9.1.9, 9.2.4, 9.3beta1, and everything newer.

Some example:

  $ apt-cache policy postgresql-12
  postgresql-12:
    Installed: 12.2-2.pgdg+1+b1
    Candidate: 12.2-2.pgdg+1+b1
    Version table:
   *** 12.2-2.pgdg+1+b1 500
          500 http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg/main amd64 Packages
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       12.2-2.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12.2-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12.1-2.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12.1-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12.0-2.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12.0-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12~rc1-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12~beta4-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12~beta3-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12~beta2-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages
       12~beta1-1.pgdg+1 500
          500 https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt sid-pgdg-archive/main amd64 Packages

Because this is hosted on S3, browsing directories is only supported
indirectly by static index.html files, so if you want to look at some
specific URL, append "/index.html" to see it.

The archive is powered by a PostgreSQL database and a bunch of
python/shell scripts from which the apt index files are built.
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgapt.git;a=tree;f=pgapt-db/sql
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgapt.git;a=tree;f=repo/bin

## Archiving old distributions

I'm also using the opportunity to remove some long-retired
distributions from the main repository host. The following
distributions have been moved over:

* Debian etch (4.0)
* Debian lenny (5.0)
* Debian squeeze (6.0)
* Ubuntu lucid (10.04)
* Ubuntu saucy (13.10)
* Ubuntu utopic (14.10)
* Ubuntu wily (15.10)
* Ubuntu zesty (17.04)
* Ubuntu cosmic (18.10)

They are available as "DIST-pgdg" from the archive, e.g. squeeze:

  deb https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt squeeze-pgdg main
  deb-src https://apt-archive.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt squeeze-pgdg main

--
Senior Berater, Tel.: +49 2166 9901 187
credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080, USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209