Re: libxml2 is dropping xml2-config - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: libxml2 is dropping xml2-config
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Tom Lane 2020-01-21 <6994.1579567876@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> > (Putting in support for pkg-config still makes sense, though.)
>
> Perhaps.  Are there any platforms where libxml2 doesn't install a
> pkg-config file?  What are we supposed to do if there's no pkg-config?

I can't comment on the libxml2 part, but making pkg-config a hard
requirement to build PG would probably be a safe bet nowadays. (I'm
still not arguing that we should.)

Re: David Steele 2020-01-21 <95349047-31dd-c7dc-df17-b488c2d3441f@pgmasters.net>
> Yes -- at least Ubuntu < 18.04 does not install pkg-config for libxml2. I
> have not checked Debian yet, but I imagine < 8 will have the same issue.

That is not true, I just verified that both 16.04 and 14.04 (already
EOL) have a working `pkg-config libxml-2.0 --libs`.

> Christoph, are you saying we perhaps won't need to make this change?

I'm saying that the Debian libxml2 maintainer shouldn't try to make
this change unilaterally without libxml2 upstream.

Christoph