Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'? - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?
Date
Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Re: Stephen Frost 2019-12-20 <20191220150644.GO3195@tamriel.snowman.net>
> SCRAM is *definitely* better and I strongly support us moving to it,
> provided it doesn't break anything existing (which it generally
> shouldn't...  but maybe there's some weird edge cases, or possibly older
> clients, but still, at some point, we need to move this default to be
> SCRAM).

TBH I haven't really read the manual section about md5-scram
compatibility yet, but from memory, there's a lot of footnotes that
need to be taken into account before the switch can be flipped, if
upgrades from old servers are to be supported. The process sounds
scary and painful.

Christoph