Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'? - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?
Date
Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Greetings,

* James Cassell (fedoraproject@cyberpear.com) wrote:
> Peer does not work with TCP connections, and I haven't figured how to get,e.g., third-party Java applications working
withoutTCP.

The entire point of peer was to segregate the very insecure 'ident' from
the actually quite secure 'peer' auth, so, no, it's not going to work
over TCP connections- that's more-or-less the point.

Regarding a JDBC connection, you can pass in a "socketFactory", as I
understand it (though I'm no JDBC expert, I'd suggest you address issues
you have with that to the JDBC list):

https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/head/connect.html

Thanks,

Stephen