Re: BUG #16059: Tab-completion of filenames in COPY commands removesrequired quotes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #16059: Tab-completion of filenames in COPY commands removesrequired quotes
Date
Re: BUG #16059: Tab-completion of filenames in COPY commands removes required quotes  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Dec-11, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 5:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Of course, this only works if we have those hooks :-(.  So far as
> > I can tell, all libreadline variants that might still exist in the wild
> > do have them; but libedit doesn't, at least not in the version Apple
> > is shipping.  Hence, what the attached patch does is to make configure
> > probe for the existence of the hook variables; if they're not there,
> > fall back to what I proposed previously.
>
> Are people still compiling against libedit and then redirecting to
> libreadline at runtime? I seem to recall some discussion about this
> being a thing, many years ago.

Yeah, Debian did that out of licensing concerns.  It seems they still do
that, based on
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/postgresql-client-12

> If it were being done it would be
> advantageous to have the checks be runtime rather than compile-time,
> although I guess that would probably be tough to make work.

Yeah.  On the other hand, I suppose Debian uses the BSD version of the
libraries, not the Apple version, so I think it should be fine?