Re: Example not producing shown output - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Example not producing shown output
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 2019-Nov-27, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> > On 26 Nov 2019, at 19:28, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > Or perhaps we can add a second line in the example cell for the
> > @@ operator, to make it clear that both forms can be used.  Users can be
> > expected to apply some intuition from that point onwards.
>
> Wouldn't it be more intuitive to add such a second line under to_tsvector, or
> expand the Description field to cover a brief discussion covering this?

I don't know.  The problem is that the line for to_tsvector is a lot
further down the page in table 9.42, and it contains a lot of other
stuff, so people trying their first examples based on table 9.41 would
not see it and will be as surprised as the OP was when it doesn't work
under their locale.

I think enlarging the description for the @@ entry is not out of the
question, but trying to explain too much about the locale there seems a
bit out of place.  This is why I suggested to add another Note box below
the table.

If I misunderstood what you meant, please be more specific.