Re: Hypothetical indexes using BRIN broken since pg10 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Hypothetical indexes using BRIN broken since pg10
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 07:03:52AM +0200, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> IIUC, if something like Heikki's patch is applied on older branch the
> problem will be magically fixed from the extension point of view so
> that should be safe (an extension would only need to detect the minor
> version to get a more useful error message for users), and all
> alternatives are too intrusive to be patckbatched.

So, Heikki, are you planning to work more on that and commit a change
close to what has been proposed upthread in [1]?  It sounds to me that
this has the advantage to be non-intrusive and a similar solution has
been used for GIN indexes.  Moving the redesign out of the discussion,
is there actually a downsize with back-patching something like
Heikki's version?

Tom, Alvaro and Julien, do you have more thoughts to share?

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/b847493e-d263-3f2e-1802-689e778c9a58@iki.fi
--
Michael

Attachment