Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Option to dump foreign data in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Nov-12, Luis Carril wrote:

> But, not all foreign tables are necessarily in a remote server like
> the ones referenced by the postgres_fdw.
> In FDWs like swarm64da, cstore, citus or timescaledb, the foreign
> tables are part of your database, and one could expect that a dump of
> the database includes data from these FDWs.

BTW these are not FDWs in the "foreign" sense at all; they're just
abusing the FDW system in order to be able to store data in some
different way.  The right thing to do IMO is to port these systems to be
users of the new storage abstraction (table AM).  If we do that, what
value is there to the feature being proposed here?