Re: pglz performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: pglz performance
Date
Re: pglz performance  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 12:48:28PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>> > Here's v3 which takes into account recent benchmarks with Silesian Corpus and have better comments.
>>
>> Your message from 21 October appears to say that this change makes the
>> performance worse.  So I don't know how to proceed with this.
>
>As I understand that report, in these results "less is better", so the
>hacked8 variant shows better performance (33.8) than current (42.5).
>The "hacked" variant shows worse performance (48.2) that the current
>code.  The "in spite" phrase seems to have been a mistake.
>
>I am surprised that there is so much variability in the performance
>numbers, though, based on such small tweaks of the code.

I'd try running the benchmarks to verify the numbers, and maybe do some
additional tests, but it's not clear to me which patches should I use.

I think the last patches with 'hacked' and 'hacked8' in the name are a
couple of months old, and the recent posts attach just a single patch.
Andrey, can you post current versions of both patches?

regards