Re: pg_receivexlog or archive_command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pg_receivexlog or archive_command
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2019-09-23 10:25, Vikas Sharma wrote:
> > I am wondering which one is the best way to archive the xlogs for Backup
> > and Recovery - pg_receivexlog or archive_command.
>
> I recommend using pg_receivexlog.  It has two important advantages over
> archive_command:  1) You can have multiple instances of pg_receivexlog
> running and copying things to different places.  This is complicated to
> do correctly with archive_command.  2) pg_receivexlog will fsync the
> files it writes.  This is also complicated to do correctly with
> archive_command.

Yes, it definitely is difficult to write your own archive_command, in
general, so, please, just don't.  Use one of the existing tools that
have been well tested and written specifically to work with PG and to
provide the guarantees that an archive command should.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment