Re: pg_receivewal documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_receivewal documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 03:03:04PM +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> Unless I am missing something, another solution might be to use a dedicated
> role to pg_receive{xlog|wal} with synchronous_commit lower than
> remote_apply.

Aren't you confused by the same thing as I was upthread [1]?
[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190710080423.GG1031@paquier.xyz

remote_apply affects all sessions.  So even if you use a replication
role with synchronous_commit = on and have pg_receivewal use that with
remote_apply set in postgresql.conf, then remote_apply is effective
for all the other sessions so these will still be stuck at commit
waiting for pg_receivewal to apply WAL if it is a synchronous
standby.
--
Michael

Attachment