Re: pg_receivewal documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_receivewal documentation
Date
Re: pg_receivewal documentation  (Jesper Pedersen <jesper.pedersen@redhat.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:40:36AM -0400, Jesper Pedersen wrote:
>> Or more simply like that?
>> "Note that while WAL will be flushed with this setting,
>> pg_receivewal never applies it, so synchronous_commit must not be set
>> to remote_apply if pg_receivewal is a synchronous standby, be it a
>> member of a priority-based (FIRST) or a quorum-based (ANY) synchronous
>> replication setup."
>
> Yeah, better.

I was looking into committing that, and the part about
synchronous_commit = on is not right.  The location of the warning is
also harder to catch for the reader, so instead let's move it to the
top where we have an extra description for --synchronous.  I am
finishing with the attached that I would be fine to commit and
back-patch as needed.  Does that sound fine?
--
Michael

Attachment