Re: Keeping Postgresql-9.6 on Buster - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Keeping Postgresql-9.6 on Buster
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Phil Endecott 2019-07-11 <1562848237936@dmwebmail.dmwebmail.chezphil.org>
> OK, I have found this: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes
> and your linked email.
>
> Much of my data is just ASCII, or binary blobs, but I think I probably set
> the locales to UTF8.  Hmmm.

You are affected as soon as you put an index on a "text" column with
en_US.UTF-8 collation that contains things as simple as "1-1" "1 1".
These will switch ordering, and the old index is corrupt wrt. the new
operating system. Indexes on "bytea" are fine.

> I will probably have more questions, unless I just decide to not upgrade.
> Is this the best place to ask?

Here or on pgsql-general.

Christoph