Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Tomas Vondra (tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 04:11:21PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >On 2019-Jul-10, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> >>Uh, what if a transaction modifies page 0 and page 1 of the same table
> >>--- don't those pages have the same LSN.
> >
> >No, because WAL being a physical change log, each page gets its own
> >WAL record with its own LSN.
> >

> What if you have wal_log_hints=off? AFAIK that won't change the page LSN.

Alvaro suggested elsewhere that we require checksums for these, which
would also force wal_log_hints to be on, and therefore the LSN would
change.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment