Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul  8, 2019 at 06:45:50PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Jul  8, 2019 at 06:23:13PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Yes, 'postgres' can be used to create a nice md5 rainbow table that
> > works on many servers --- good point.  Are rainbow tables possible with
> > something like AES?
> >
> > > I appreciate that *some* of this might not be completely relevant for
> > > the way a nonce is used in cryptography, but I'd be very surprised to
> > > have a cryptographer tell me that a deterministic nonce didn't have
> > > similar issues or didn't reduce the value of the nonce significantly.
> >
> > This post:
> >
> >     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36760973/why-is-random-iv-fine-for-aes-cbc-but-not-for-aes-gcm
> >
> > says:
> >
> >     GCM is a variation on Counter Mode (CTR).  As you say, with any variant
> >     of Counter Mode, it is essential  that the Nonce is not repeated with
> >     the same key.  Hence CTR mode  Nonces often include either a counter or
> >     a timer element: something that  is guaranteed not to repeat over the
> >     lifetime of the key.
> >
> > CTR is what we use for WAL.  8k pages, we would use CBC, which says we
> > need a random nonce.  I need to dig deeper into ECB mode attack.
>
> Looking here:
>
>     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36760973/why-is-random-iv-fine-for-aes-cbc-but-not-for-aes-gcm
>
> I think the issues is that we can't use a _counter_ for the nonce since
> each page-0 of each table would use the same nonce, and each page-1,
> etc.  I assume we would use the table oid and page number as the nonce.
> We can't use the database oid since we copy the files from one database
> to another via file system copy and not through the shared buffer cache
> where they would be re encrypted.  Using relfilenode seems dangerous.

FYI, pg_upgrade already preserves the pg_class.oid, which is why I
recommended it over pg_class.relfilenode:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/bin/pg_upgrade/pg_upgrade.c;h=ff78929707ef12699a7579274693f6020c54c755;hb=HEAD#l14

    We control all assignments of pg_class.oid (and relfilenode) so toast
    oids are the same between old and new clusters.  This is important
    because toast oids are stored as toast pointers in user tables.

    While pg_class.oid and pg_class.relfilenode are initially the same
    in a cluster, they can diverge due to CLUSTER, REINDEX, or VACUUM
    FULL.  In the new cluster, pg_class.oid and pg_class.relfilenode will
    be the same and will match the old pg_class.oid value.  Because of
    this, old/new pg_class.relfilenode values will not match if CLUSTER,
    REINDEX, or VACUUM FULL have been performed in the old cluster.